Our Saturday Night headliners are going to turn Our House, the Proms Arena, into a House of Fun.
Here's 11 facts you may or may not already know about Madness!
- Madness are currently made up of: frontman Graham “Suggs” McPherson, Saxophonist Lee Thompson, Guitarist Chris “Chrissy Boy” Foreman, Bassist Mark Bedford, Keyboardist Mark Barson and Drummer Daniel “Woody” Woodgate.
- The band formed in 1976 and were one of the most prominent bands of the late 70s and early 80s 2 tone ska revival. The band gained a following in 1979 from being regular performers within Camden Town, London.
- In 1979 they made their first appearance on Top of the Pops performing their first single “The Prince”.
- Their debut album “One Step Beyond…” peaked at number 2 in the UK and stayed in the charts for 78 weeks, it featured hits such as: The Prince, One Step Beyond and My Girl.
- Out of 12 studio albums that they have released, 11 of them went to the top 20 of the UK charts. They have released 36 singles, sixteen of which went top 10 and twenty two went top 20.
- Madness have had more than 20 headlining tours over the last 38 years and have taken part in their own festival called Madstock!.
- Frontman “Suggs” and Drummer “Woody” are avid Chelsea Football Club supporters, Suggs wrote and performed the song “Blue Day” as Chelsea FC’s official song for the 1997 FA Cup Final and Woody has made appearances on Chelsea TV.
- One Step Beyond is now played when Chelsea win against big opponents at their home stadium, Stamford Bridge.
- Madness have won multiple awards including two Ivor Novello awards for Best Song with “Our House” and Outstanding Song Collection.
- In October 2002, a musical called Our House launched on the West End. The musical was based on the band’s music and won best new musical at the Olivier Awards in 2003 and was released on DVD in 2004. The musical has also toured in Japan and across the UK.
- Madness released a brand new album in 2016 called Can’t Touch Us Now which was followed by a tour in December.
Don't miss out on what's set to be an amazing night of music, dancing and laughs on Saturday 5th August, get your tickets here: MADNESS